What is a research extension and how do I apply for one?

For students of research programmes, an extension is required if you go beyond the maximum period of time allowed from first registration on your programme.

  • Doctoral students are allowed a maximum of 6 years to submit their thesis. This applies to both full-time and part time students.  
  • MA candidate for a Masters by Research Degree will be allowed a maximum of five years in the case of the College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences, three years in the case of Engineering, or four years in all other cases, to submit their thesis.

Candidates who do not submit their thesis within the maximum period of time allowed from first registration for the course for which they have been approved will require approval for extensions from the relevant College. Research students use the Research Registration Change Request Form to request an extension. This must be accompanied by a detailed progress review which you may find on our Guidelines and Policies page.  

Please familiarise yourself with UCC's webpages for research students

If you cannot find the answer to your question, or if you need additional support, contact us:

Last Updated: Dec 5th 2019 - Keywords: research   extension   PhD   MRes   Masters by research     - Views: 858

Go Back