Is the grace period the same as an extension for research students?

Please note: A dedicated webpage for information about COVID-19, containing FAQ’s, can be accessed here.

A grace period is not the same as an extension for research students. A grace period affords a student, whose approved registration is about to expire, an additional three months in which the student may submit his/her e-thesis for examination without being liable for registration fees.  

An extension is required when a student goes beyond the maximum period of time allowed from first registration for his or her course.  Doctoral students are allowed a maximum of 6 years to submit their thesis. This applies to both full-time and part time students.  A candidate for a Masters by Research Degree will be allowed a maximum of five years in the case of the College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences, three years in the case of Engineering, or four years in all other cases, to submit their thesis. Candidates who do not submit their thesis within the maximum period of time allowed from first registration for the course for which they have been approved will require approval for extensions from the relevant College. Research students use the Research Registration Change Request Form to request an extension. This must be accompanied by a detailed progress review which you may find on our Guidelines and Policies page

Please familiarise yourself with UCC's webpages for research students

If you cannot find the answer to your question, or if you need additional support, contact us:

Last Updated: Jan 8th 2020 - Keywords: grace period   extension   research   phd   doctorate   mres   masters   - Views: 511

Go Back